Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dream in Color & Snap Your Fingers in Your Sleep


Creating a Soundtrack for Your Event

Like many little girls, my childhood memories had Barbie in the mix. I had the different ones, like Peaches and Cream Barbie, Crystal Barbie, Bridal Barbie (of course). One of my favorites was Workout Barbie. Something about her electric blue unitard, hot pink ballet shoes and striped leg warmers really got my attention. Dare I say I thought she was sexy, at the age of 9? I would have worn an outfit just like it to class at Maria Priadka’s School of Dance…if I’d had any other mother than my own.

One thing I remember specifically, is that my version of “playing dolls” was different than most of my friends’. They insisted on weaving these elaborate (read boring) tales of doll life and scripting appropriate dialogue to go with it. It always seemed like our flow was interrupted by someone directing us with, “Now you say such and such and I’ll say so and so”. I preferred to pump up my radio and dress my dolls in outfits I thought went with the music, creating a “scene”. I could do this on my own for hours, and hours at a time. Each song demanded a different look, a different pose and sometimes a different setting. But I remember being intent on connecting what I saw to what I heard.

Now that I am an adult, songs are like a trigger for memories, some good and some not. What I find interesting, is how detailed the memories become when I can connect them to a song. I remember what I wore, where I was and how it smelled after hearing just a few bars of music. When I’m asleep, the settings in my dreams are in vivid color and there is always background music. I host events, see paintings and scenes in my dreams, sometimes long before I can even use the ideas. I am learning to write them down, but mostly the mental attachment to the music is enough.

As an event designer and planner, I really like the first meeting with my clients. They are sooo excited about what they want to create and celebrate, that I can’t help but be excited too. I get them to talk about what they see in their mind’s eye, because that is what they will be anticipating. After they share all of the details, I ask them to name songs that make them feel the way they want their event to feel. You might say that I create a soundtrack for their wedding or party or proposal. After our meeting I listen to their songs and begin to match what I hear to what my clients have said they want to see. Music and color are huge factors for creating unique event designs. People respond to both very personally. My secret is to mesh them in a foundation that sets up everything to work together. When I present the event plan to clients, their music is playing in the background, so they can start feeling it right away.

In the planning stages of your wedding, milestone party or proposal, think about how you want to feel and how you want your guests to feel. Those feelings tell your brain to commit that moment to memory. Have some songs in mind and share them with your event planner. Second, collect tons of pictures of items, flowers, designs in colors that you love. They don’t have to match or even make sense for your event. A good event designer will be able to pull a distinct style from what you are drawn to. And last, don’t be afraid to be daring, different and totally you. Once-in-a-lifetime events deserve one-of-a-kind event design. That can only happen when you stay true to what you want and not go with everything you have seen done already. Someone else’s design in your color scheme is not enough for my brides. If you can describe it, we can make it happen.

In honor of that young girl, and my faithful Barbie brigade, today I am going to listen to some of my old favorites. Those memories always make me smile. And once in a while, I still use some of my early design ideas. They still work, because at my core, I haven’t really changed. And I can still spend hours at a time creating a world, a look, a scene to the soundtrack of my life. What songs will define your moment? Let’s start building your soundtrack today.

No comments:

Post a Comment