Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pinterest…Hype or Help?





If you use social media sites like Facebook or Twitter, you have likely heard about a new web tool called, “Pinterest”.  But if you aren’t into social bookmarking, you may still be unclear about what Pinterest is, what it does and how it might be useful to you as a planning tool for your wedding and beyond. 
I have to admit that I didn’t buy into the hype of Pinterest, at first use.  Even though I have favorite’s lists a mile long each for Personal and Professional sites I refer to, I didn’t consider myself a social bookmarker.  That changed one day, when I was working on a storyboard for one of my brides.  I sent her my first version, and she directed me to hers… on Pinterest.  As confirmation that I was on the right page, they looked almost identical.
Pinterest, and bookmarking sites like it, allows you to create a virtual board and “pin” your favorite photos from the web and links onto that board.  You can create a different board for every different thing you like.  Now, this is not an ad for Pinterest.  But, I do like to share tools and information that help clients make informed decisions about their wedding while they stay true to their own vision.  Social bookmarking tools can help with that in a number of ways.  Here are just a few:
1.   Keep Random Clippings In One Virtual Place – You are busy and on the go.  You might have time to flip through bridal magazines now and again.  But you don’t have time to sit down and cut out every picture or idea that speaks to you.  Social bookmarking tools allow you to do this virtually and even organize your clips in whatever order they make sense to you
2.   The Information Is Easily Shareable And Discoverable – “Bookmarking” or “Pinning” photos, articles , recipes or whatever not only keeps you organized, it allows you to share your stuff with others.  In the same vein, you get to peak at new and different stuff that others think is pretty neat too and keep what you like
3.   Helps You To Define and/or Find Your Style – Many of my brides know exactly what they want their wedding style to be.  But there are those who have “an idea” but not a specific direction they can define.  The first assignment I give them is to collect and then send me pictures of whatever speaks to them.  Seeing all of the different elements together helps me to understand what they like and to discover common themes or colors they prefer.  I use that information to put together a storyboard for the event because a picture really is worth a thousand words.  Social bookmarking tools can help you make sense out of a lot of random ideas for a wedding, home décor, new wardrobe or anything. It is a lot simpler to define your own style once you see it compiled and displayed
I must admit, I still have my fair share of clippings and articles that I can’t seem to part with.  And I doubt that I will become addicted to Pinterest or any other social media site because I know that time is still the most valuable commodity within which I can be creative.  But I do believe in using media to maximize your efforts.  A great tool is still a hot find.  Sharing is even hotter.
Here are a few of the sites we use regularly:
Be sure to post the links to your boards in the comments section below so we can share!




No comments:

Post a Comment